Teeth whitening is undeniably one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments of this age. Achieving a whiter and brighter smile is an appealing desire to many. There are various teeth whitening options to improve staining and discoloration of the teeth, including professional teeth whitening.
If you’re unhappy with your smile and considering professional whitening, you might be asking yourself many questions. The biggest might be, how long does teeth whitening last? Read on to find answers and learn more about teeth whitening in Greenville, SC.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a cosmetic procedure that uses a whitening agent to brighten the color of the teeth. This can be achieved through a chemical reaction or by physically removing the teeth stains. Teeth whitening can enhance the appearance of stained and discolored teeth.
Teeth Whitening Options
- In-office whitening – This treatment lets you get multiple shades lighter in a single appointment. One of the most important advantages of in-office whitening is that it produces faster results. However, it can be more expensive and unpleasant for people with sensitive teeth.
- Take-home whitening – In this treatment, you will be given a set of custom-fitted trays and whitening materials, which you’ll use to whiten your teeth at home. Your dentist will provide you with instructions on how to wear your trays and use whitening materials.
This option is typically affordable and less sensitive. Plus, the trays can be reused to keep enhancing the whiter appearance. The drawbacks of this procedure are that it takes longer to achieve results and requires you to remember to put on the whitening trays daily.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
The duration of teeth whitening effects varies from person to person, but it generally can last between six months and three years with proper care. Certain things can stain or discolor your teeth quickly, reducing your teeth' s whitening lifespan. These are:
- Eating staining foods like dark berries and beetroots
- Smoking and chewing tobacco products
- Consuming dark liquids like cola, coffee, red wine, and tea
- Eating a lot of tomato source
How To Extend Teeth Whitening Results
Although teeth whitening won’t last forever, there are some things you can do to retain and even extend your results. These include:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth as recommended
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth
- Rinse your mouth with water after consuming stain-causing beverages and foods
- Cease smoking and tobacco use
- Repeat the procedure after the recommended duration
- Visit your dentist every six months
Have Questions About Teeth Whitening? Talk To Us
At Ladd Family Dental, Dr. Parke Ladd, is an expert in teeth whitening and would be glad to brighten your smile. Contact us online to inquire about teeth whitening in Greenville, SC, or call (864) 233-1533 to book an appointment today.